Family and Consumer Sciences empowers Ohioans with the knowledge, skills and tools needed to make healthy choices, thus creating healthy communities of healthy people with healthy finances and healthy relationships.
Family and Consumer Sciences is a vital part of OSU Extension’s menu of services and programs for Ohioans and their families.
- As part of that menu, we make lives better … and communities stronger.
Family and Consumer Sciences’ educators offer a variety of food and nutrition programs.
- We prevent foodborne illnesses by helping people know how to safely handle and prepare food, and to protect it from contamination.
- We also offer a variety of nutrition-related programs to show people how to use herbs and spices to lower sodium consumption, prepare heart-healthy meals, cook for one or two, and stretch the food dollar.
Family and Consumer Sciences gives people the knowledge, skills and tools needed to make healthy, informed choices.
- We help people make their lives healthier, improve their finances, and strengthen their relationships at home, at work and in the community.
- Our programs and services help people gain or maintain their independence and to become more self-reliant.
Family and Consumer Sciences provides reliable, evidence-based information for businesses’ wellness education efforts.
- Our programs encourage – and empower – people to adopt practices and behaviors that help them improve their finances, build more positive relationships with friends and family, and embrace healthier lifestyles.
- Our programs leads to lower absenteeism rates, more productive businesses and stronger communities.
Family and Consumer Sciences is a catalyst that makes things happen!
- With only a limited public investment, we build partnerships with other groups and organizations whose missions complement ours.
- We provide leadership, promote action and find ways to overcome the obstacles between vision and reality.
Family and Consumer Sciences makes OSU Extension stronger by working collaboratively with other Extension initiatives (e.g., 4-H, agriculture and natural resources, and community development).
- We have the ability to generate new resources through grants and other funding.
One of Family and Consumer Sciences’s highest priorities is to secure the staff and funding needed to offer community nutrition services in all 88 Ohio counties.